WHAT DOES JESUS MEAN TO LOSE YOUR LIFE?
Bob Sorge recently shared in an email what Jesus' core message was. He said it’s the only message that appears in all four gospels.
“He that finds his life shall lose it: and he that loses his life for my sake shall find it.” Matt 10:39
If this truth is important enough to be repeated four times we certainly should give it special attention. What does it mean to lose or save your life?
Jesus is talking about who is in charge of your life -- about self-ownership. Jesus is saying don't try to control your life. Surrender the right you have to own your life to Him. After all you GAVE your life to Jesus when you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior. Then, don't take it back. When you try to own yourself you lose what you are after. How does one surrender their life?
Here are a five ways to lose your life and surrender it to Christ.
1. It starts with your will. First, believe Jesus is good and right in asking you to do this. Make a choice to unconditionally surrender your life into the hands of Jesus.
2. Secondly, activate your faith and trust Him. He knows what is the best for you and is able to do more with your life in His hands then if you remain in control.
3. Thirdly, decide and determine to take up your cross daily and follow Jesus. Billy Graham said this means each of us are to put to death our plans and desires. Give up all control to Christ.
4. Fourthly, submit to the Holy Spirit. You can’t make right decisions without the help of the Holy Spirit's perfect wisdom. John Piper said losing our live is being mastered by a power other than our own.
5. Fifthly, when you find yourself trying to control a situation, or a person, always maintain a repentant attitude and re-surrender yourself to Jesus.
I encourage you to surrender complete control of your life to God. Don't waste it on yourself because you will lose it. Give your life daily to Jesus and you will experience real living - a blessed and favored life.
Here is Bob Sorge's video that inspired this blog.