TO KNOW HIM IS TO LOVE HIM
WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW GOD
Knowing God is the key to a successful life and ministry. By knowing who God is and what He’s likes forms our thinking and our behavior. Decisions in life are made based on our opinion or knowledge of God.
Ten Reasons Why You Need to Know God More Intimately
1. To Know Truth. We know how things really are from God’s perspective and not man’s speculation. Theology is the study of God and is for everyone, and critical to everyone. Knowing God provides a foundation for our philosophy and worldview, which in turn sets inclinations for your heart, actions, and decisions in all situations. Everything in your life is affected by what you know of God.“… those who know God listen to us. If they do not belong to God, they do not listen to us. That is how we know if someone has the Spirit of truth or the spirit of deception.” 1 John 4:6
2. To Grow in Your Relationship with Him. We would not commit to marry someone without getting to know them well. Then we would want to continue to grow in that relationship with them. So, we must grow in our knowledge of God to know Him more. "This will continue until we all come to ... the knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ.” Eph 4:13
3. To Have Victory in Life. Knowing who God is this important for achieving victory, and overcoming when we go through hard times. Knowing God better helps us process challenges and difficulties. It helps us understand the dynamics of the challenge and how to work with God to get the victory. "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Cor 15:57
4. To Have Eternal Perspective. "This is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” John 17:3. We enter into relationship with God when we give our lives to Him. From there we grow as we know more of Him and our perspective becomes more of an eternal perspective.
5. To Increase Our Faith. If we have intimate knowledge of the All-powerful-One we can better recognize His ability to do anything. We have more faith to believe He is able. “When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you...God promises to love me all day,...” Psalm 42:6-8 MSG
6. To Love God. We cannot love someone we do not know well. That would only be infatuation. The more we know God the more we can love and adore Him. "But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:8
7. To Be More Like Him. The more we know God and His ways that more we become like Him. "...we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.” 2 Cor 3:18
8. To Spiritually Mature. As we walk with God interacting and communing with Him we grow and mature. God’s purpose for us is not to just make God’s acquaintance but to reach maturity and bear fruit for His glory. “Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.” Col 1:10
9. To Know His Will. "If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth." 1 John 2:4 When we know God we live according to His will. He reveals His will and plans for our lives.
10. To Learn More about Yourself. As we grow in our knowledge of God the One who created us we can understand ourselves and why we are the way we are. To know God helps us know our purpose better and God’s plans for our lives. "We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
I want to encourage you to constantly seek to know God better. Join me in this proclamation. "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection." Phil 3:10.